Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Big Changes

As my life in Brookings slowly winds down, I barely have time to appreciate the years I've spent here.  Packing for next week's big move, commuting back and forth to work, and preparing to start a second job have my thoughts too far gone to really reflect on the past four years.
Pack, tape, label...
Boxes of all shapes and sizes, filled with all the junk I own, fill up the fourth bedroom of my Brookings apartment.  Granted, a few of them aren't mine, but most of them are.  I'm trying to get through this move as cheaply as possible, so I've been working on collecting boxes wherever I can find them.  Two of the stacks are made up of Topsy Turvy boxes Dad saved for me at Ace, while another two stacks are Rubbermaid totes I either got for my high school graduation or purchased for the big move to Brookings long ago.  
Sadly, I filled up all the totes and free boxes last week.  I went to about six different stores yesterday on my day off looking for more free boxes, but anything available had been soaked in the previous night's inch and a half of rain.  The Ace in Brookings told me to come back tomorrow, freight day, and they would have plenty for me.  Hopefully I can get some more of those Topsy Turvy boxes--they worked perfectly.
I wasn't quite ready to give up on using my valuable free time for packing yesterday, so I broke down and bought a few at the UPS Store.  Luckily, all the moving boxes were 50% off as part of a fundraiser for Relay for Life, so I don't feel too guilty swiping my card for cardboard.
Renting my first U-Haul...
The plan is to rent a U-Haul trailer next Saturday and have Mike pull it behind his pickup.  All I really need it for is the furniture, but I have a lot of furniture, so my need is dire.  Our lease actually starts on Monday, so when I drive down to Sioux Falls for work, I plan to take a car load of packed boxes with me.  I figure I shouldn't waste a trip down.  
I really want to get all of my furniture (my bed, desk, tables, book shelf, couch, etc.) to the big city in one trip so we don't have to pay an arm and a leg for gas in the pickup.  I also want to get it all done in one trip so we don't have to waste the entire day loading and driving.  I would really like to have Julie and Mike there to help get all the furniture settled and to help unpack a few things.  There's no need to make this day more stressful than it already will be.
Baby steps back into broadcasting...
I just found out yesterday that I got the summer internship with the City of Sioux Fall's television station, provided I pass a drug test.  This is a full-time broadcasting job through the end of August, so I don't have to worry about losing my photographer's touch for the next few months, nor do I have to worry about not paying the bills.
I plan to stay on part-time at The Lob.  I really do enjoy the job itself and most of the people I get to work with (minus Tony), plus I get my health and vision insurance through the company.  They've put a lot of time into training me, so I don't think they'll have a problem keeping me on board, even if I'm not there as much as they would like.  
It would be nice to keep The Lob as a fall back job.  What if I finish the internship in August and no one in town has any reporter or photographer openings?  At least I wouldn't be starting over at square one; I would only have to find a second job to bring in the money.
I still need to tell my boss about the internship.  I had warned him a few weeks ago that I had applied, and then that I had interviewed.  He seemed disappointed, but made it clear that he wants to try and keep me on for a few shifts.  The new job starts June 8 (a Monday), so that shouldn't put too much pressure on his schedule yet, either.  He'll still have me full-time next week, and then I'll be cut back.  
I'm hoping to work two closing shifts each week (preferably Monday and Wednesday) as well as every other Sunday lunch shift.  I still want to be able to have a somewhat normal schedule, complete with an adequate amount of time off.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment