Saturday, May 30, 2009

Summer Fun

Oh, how I love crazy summer nights.  It's not even June and we've scratched the first camping trip off of the list.  Granted, it was a pretty spontaneous thing, but it was official summer fun nonetheless.
RibFest...
RibFest kicked off in Sioux Falls on Thursday night, and the event's big draw has hit The Lob hard.  I don't think I've ever seen a Friday night so slow.  Luckily, that meant I got cut early, so I invited the tribunal down for the Kory and the Fireflies concert.  Most of the members didn't want to worry about driving back to Brookings after the show, so they got a camping spot in Sioux Falls.
It was literally in the heart of industrial Sioux Falls.  But, when we got there, we realized we were in a very shady part of town, and all the spots were concrete--perfect for campers, horrible for tents.  In light of our discovery, the tribunal decided we were switching locations, and we ended up at Jellystone Park, just off of I-90.  
The concert was fun, but very short.  The band didn't start playing until 9:30 and were off the stage by 10:45, and everything else shut down around 11.  I suppose it's nice for the people who live near the Arena, but it seemed so strange that an outdoor festival would close up shop so early.  
Bonding time...
Camping was also a blasty-blast.  Four of us fit snugly into a four-person tent in the middle of a family-centric campground based on the adventures of Yogi Bear.  Beer and good laughs will forever be a summer staple.  The night was chilly, but the bugs weren't out.  
Sadly, no matter how much alcohol is flowing through my veins, my body refuses to sleep on the ground.  Today I am working a split shift, functioning on very little sleep or hydration.  I may have learned my lesson about being hungover at work, for the time being at least.
Plans change...
As with almost every plan I've come up with during the past few months, my moving plans are changing as well.  While I did request Saturday off from The Lob so I could move my junk to the city, I was not given any day on the weekend off.  I'd never accuse him of it, but I wonder if my boss scheduled Thursday as my day off as a form of punishment for taking another job.
So, now I'm moving on Thursday.  I won't have Julie or Mike to help, but I may have wrangled up other assistants, at least for the unloading part, anyway.  Two male friends from The Lob have offered their ability to lift heavy things that afternoon/evening.  Now the only question is how to load the damn furniture into the truck.  I'll figure that one out, though, even if I have to rent a furniture dolly from Ace.
Blessings...
I feel very blessed to have so many offers of help from so many people.  When it was going to be next weekend, I had both friends and family offering their assistance.  Even now, with the very sudden and somewhat unwelcome change of plans, new friends, who really didn't need to feel obligated to even offer me help, volunteered their services without even a hint of plea in my voice.   
I am very excited about starting a new life in Sioux Falls.  I suppose it's not completely new since I have been working here in a variety of positions since last June, but it will be nice to partake in more social activities.  I'm really looking forward to getting to know my friends and coworkers in the city much better and to making new memories with them.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment