Monday, July 6, 2009

It's July Already?

I used to be so much better about keeping this thing current ... my apologies. Lots of things keep me away, but not as many as I'd like to use as an excuse, but I digress...
What do I do?
I like this job a lot. Things on my schedule have started to pick up considerably, and the guys keep taking me along on the really cool assignments. For example, a couple weeks ago I got paid to spend an afternoon canoeing down the Big Sioux taking photos for the city's archives. Next week I may or may not get to climb to the top of a 24-story water tower with one of the two producers. It sounds like my fear of heights and whether or not it gets the best of me will be the deciding factor.
I'm still somewhat bored, though. As much as I enjoy what I do and the really relaxed pace, I ache for the insanity of a newsroom, the pressure of an immediate deadline. I miss getting to edit video, to put a whole story together from start to finish.
I do like that this summer has really given me the opportunity to sharpen both my photography and videography skills. I've received lots and lots of complements on my still photos, which is definitely encouraging considering my very minimal experience with professional photography. I've gotten to try a lot of new angles with the video camera, too. Occasionally I go too far. I spent one morning filming kids playing in McKennan Park. I took the camera down a slide, an idea that worked well. I attempted to translate the same idea to the swings; all I accomplished was to create a surefire way to make myself nauseous.
We're HOW far into summer?
I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the absence of June. Where the hell did that month go? Writing a new rent check was a sad slap in the face from reality. I waste a lot of time working or pseudo-unpacking. I'm sooooo close to being done, just not quite close enough. There are still a few boxes in my room, my PC is in a tote in the coat closet, and I have junk scattered everywhere in my quarters. I'll get to it--that's part of this weekend's project.
I have yet to use the pool at the apartment complex. The one weekend I had time (and plans) to go for a dip, it rained and rained and rained. Swimming is also part of the plan for this weekend. The Farmer's Market is also part of Saturday morning's plans, although we'll see if I get up early enough for some fresh produce. There are about a million other things I'd like to do this weekend, like visit KDLT, but those are even less likely to happen.
I did WHAT again?
Oh, how even I have to shake my head at this one. I can't count how many times I've sworn I would never be set up on again, how often I've told myself that I wouldn't let myself get into such an awkward again. I can't even keep a promise to myself.
The worst part is, I actually asked to be set up this time. Of course, if I'm requesting an evening of uncomfortable silences and standard chit chat, I'm not going alone. I dragged Caiti along.
One of the producers happens to create a show about the city's fire department each month, usually making a major fire the central focus. Well, there haven't even been any moderate fires in months, so he's been struggling to find a theme for each show. I suggested that the next show should have a game show format, with me dating all the single firefighters. He said no, but offered to set me up with one instead. I jumped at the chance, so long as he found one for Caits too.
After about a week of random, but positive feedback from a group of single civil servants, we met up with a couple of them last week. We had fun--they were very nice, friendly young men, but sadly, no information was exchanged, so it's highly unlikely we'll meet up with them again. At least not intentionally. I guess no one felt a connection, and it's probably better that no one tried to force the issue.
At the very least, we did meet some new people and put ourselves out there (or, I put ourselves out there, however you want to look at things). And I survived a set up without wanting to strangle the person who conducted the whole orchestration. I'm progressing both as a person and as a single white female. However, I would like to go out on at least one real date soon. I have no idea where this idea came from, but apparently it's not going to go away until I fulfill my heart's apparent desire. If only I remembered where to pick up decent guys and what to do with them once I've got them hooked. I haven't flirted intentionally in about as long since I actually went fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment