Wednesday, February 18, 2009

25 Things I've Learned Since Moving to Pierre...

A few random discoveries I've made over the course of the past month...

1)  I really, really, really hate it when people don't wipe down an exercise machine when they're finished using it.  And I also hate it when they don't change the weights after using the Nautilus machines at the Y--not everyone can curl 250 pounds, so please don't rub it in.
2)  The governor tucks his T-shirt in at when he's at the gym.  And he wears tube socks.
3)  High heels hurt (not actually new) and they never seem to get broken in (that is new).
4)  Some girls just don't understand that white, see-through dresses aren't work appropriate.  Neither are very short skirts.
5)  Gateway made a really crappy laptop two years ago.  Either that or the legislator who had mine before me was really rough on it.  Regardless, it should be able to hold a charge for more than 45 minutes.
6)  People get more worked up about proposed Second Amendment restrictions than they do about restrictions placed on religion, speech, and assembly.
7)  I would have a difficult time being a fiscally conservative legislator because I believe almost every program I've heard testimony on is worthy of full funding.
8)  Pierre has a severe deer problem.  Two days ago, I was late for work because a doe was in the middle of the street in my extremely residential neighborhood.  Tonight I almost hit one in the same area.  
9)  I know when it comes time to run the 5K, I'll be ready, and I know for sure that I'm establishing some pretty sound habits that will keep me healthy for a long time.
10)  Paying for a lunch is rare at the capitol as many interest groups will provide one or all of a day's three square meals at no cost to us.  However, in this recession, we're buying our own food more often than usual.
11)  Winner Day at the Capitol had by far the best doughnuts I've tried yet.
12)  I miss reporting more than I thought I would, which is a relief; I won't waste any time wondering which world I am supposed to be in.
13)  I try to avoid spending time in my car now; I've spent too much time going to and from Brookings and Winner.
14)  The Pierre Mall has better shopping than I remember; where else would I find Kelly green pumps for $2?
15)  However, the options for tanning in this town suck.  I'm spending $25 per month for unlimited tanning at a nail salon in the mall ... and I've only gone 4 times this month.
16)  Time truly does fly when you enjoy your job--I was stopped dead in my tracks this morning at the realization that today was the 24th legislative day.
17)  I finally understand the difficulty legislators have in voting; how do you separate your own wishes from those of your constituents?  
18)  I'm terrible at ironing clothes; I've basically quit trying and the scar on my arm from June reminds why.
19)  Dark chocolate peanut butter is a God send.  Try it with an apple.
20)  I am terrified by what comes after this.
21)  The Internet is a beautiful thing--I can watch both Grey's Anatomy and ER at my leisure.
22)  I continue to find happiness in being one of the boys.  I'm the only girl intern for the Senate Republicans, and it hasn't bothered me one bit.
23)  There are basically two social activities one can partake in in Pierre:  drinking at one of the fine local establishments or bowling alley or playing some sort of organized sport through the YMCA.
24)  Taxation is one of those concepts I may never fully comprehend.
25)  Math majors are completely incapable of chewing in a civilized manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment