Monday, February 9, 2009

Session Goal List

Here's the list of goals for this internship I gave to the Asst. Maj. Leader way back in January.

1) Figure out what my role in the political universe is.
-I've been working as a reporter for various news outlets for three years and have learned very well what the role of the media is in politics and government. As a political science major, I've also studied what the role of a lawmaker and elected official is in the same world, but up until now, I never had any first-hand experience with the latter's role (with the exception of my two weeks as a page). As much as I've enjoyed reporting, I don't want to waste any time wondering if I would've liked this world better. I hope that by the end of these two months I have a better idea of where I belong

2) Develop a better understanding of a legislator's thought process
-During my last few months at KDLT, I was fortunate enough to have an assignment editor who gave me political stories because she knows I want to be a political reporter. I interviewed political players at all levels of government and have spent many hours wondering why they don't tell the whole story or why they want certain details released at different times or why they really don't want to talk to me at all. I'm hoping this experience will help me develop a sort of empathy for the people I will interview in the future, so that I can better understand the factors that influence their decision in what to say.

3) Develop a network
-There's an old saying that says it's not what you know that makes you successful, but who you know. Every single day, this building is filled with some of the most successful, well connected, intelligent people in South Dakota. While I'm here, I'd like to meet (and make a favorable impression on) as many as I can and understand their role in this process.

4) Develop institutional knowledge
-In the world of political reporting, youth is considered a disadvantage because the older you are, the more institutional knowledge you've developed. You know why a bill passed or didn't pass when it first came up 20 years ago; you know why the voters will never send a certain person to Washington D.C.; you know the deeper story as to why neither party wants to raid the trust funds to balance the budget. I realize I can't (and don't really want to) make myself age any faster than time will allow, but I can get more involved in the process and history of South Dakota politics.

5) Transition from college to career
-I get very attached to any place I live for an extended period of time. My heart broke when I left my family and a few very close friends in Winner almost four years ago, and I know when I finally leave Brookings I'll go through that whole experience again. Spending most of my last semester here has allowed me some transitional time from sitting through five classes throughout the week to working an actual job 40+ hours a week. I miss my friends, but the long weekends give me a lot more time to visit them than almost any other job would allow. By working here, I'm able to soften the blow of separation, and I think that will be a very valuable part of my adjustment to a new career in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment