Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Correction: Shoes DON'T stretch, and men don't change...

The bliss of a comfortable heel I felt yesterday was short-lived. By 4:30, the spell wore off and the balls of my feet ached (as per usual). It seems my feet echo the sentiments of the day on the whole.
So much for the women's movement...
The early parts of the day were wonderful, as well. I didn't have to be at the Capital until 11 a.m., meetings filled in the interim, and the Senate's schedule didn't even come close to the length of the House's. But, shortly after two, before the gavel fell, my carefree Monday fell apart. I don't know why I got so angry--this kind of thing has never incited such intensity before; all I know is that another intern needs to be taught that the genders are equal in the workplace (well, in all places, but it's going to be baby steps with this one). We were playfully arguing about which bills were going to be hot topics on the floor (and, ultimately, which ones would keep us in the building the longest) when he said "SB 191 got deferred until tomorrow, sweetheart." I was so mad, I told him to never say that to me again and went to the second floor, where I did ten minutes worth of laps to cool down.
He apologized when I got back to the Senate Chamber, but he didn't know what he was apologizing for. He just said he was sorry that something he said offended me. I tried to explain that the word "sweetheart" to a female coworker shows incredible ignorance, and even if meant innocently (as he tried to claim), comes off as condescending.
I still don't think he understands why I was upset, but I don't think he'll ever say something so stupid to me again. I guess I should have said something to him during the first week when he called me sweetheart, but I really thought that might have been a horrible attempt at flirting. Now I know to pipe up sooner.
Today
My feet hurt again today, but there wasn't any hope of comfortable heals this morning. I know when I slipped on those red leather, peep-toed pumps from Target (gotta love $6 clearance) that I would be changing into my ballet flats in the afternoon. As of 3:00 p.m., the shoes had won.
Session will go long--it's crossover day--but still, we will fare much better than the House. We will be out in time to go to basketball practice, so long as none of these bills comes to blows. Highly unlikely--this is the "higher body", but considering we've been working on the first bill for nearly an hour and a half and there's not vote in sight, I may be wrong. Starting tomorrow, House bills are all we'll hear over here, and life will be better.
Baked Good Blessings
As silly as it seems, this afternoon a fortune cookie eased many of my fears about the future.
"You will be promoted soon. Be flexible! Opportunities for success are all around you."
I realize that I drew this cookie at random during a free Hy-Chi lunch in the President's Lobby, but I think God knew I needed this one. True or not, I feel better (at least for the time being). Speaking of opportunities, I have my first real reporter job interview next Friday up north. I'm still kind of numb about the whole thing as we just scheduled it this evening, so I'll fill you in about the freak out when it finally happens. I am reminded that I need to get new front tires on the Tortoise, so I at least have a reason to finally get that one done. Expect a long, boring story about a long, boring drive next weekend.
Hustle or Go?
Tonight is once again basketball night. And once again, I'm struggling with the internal debate as to whether or not I should go to practice, or go to the Y. I think I have enough energy to put up with a couple hours of sprinting up and down a court, but I felt so good after running 3.25 miles last night that part of me wants to go do that again. I better go to basketball this week--next Tuesday (I think) is the big House vs. Senate grudge match. I can always run tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment