Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Final Countdown

Today is the 39th day of the legislature, the last day of normal session. I started packing up my room Wednesday night, but even then, I never really felt any sense of finality. I don't think I've fully realized that after the gavel falls for the last time today, I'm done with my internship (with the exception of veto day on March 30).
Back to reality
Maybe I just don't want to come back to reality. When this is done, the job search will kick into overdrive. I need some leads, really bad. I will be just fine until May, but I'd really rather get this settled before all the other broadcasters graduate. I'm in a very unique position, and I would like to be able to take full advantage of that. Boy did I pick the wrong time in history to get my degree.
Budget blues
The budget continues to be the big battle at the state capitol. This stimulus package, as nice as it is to keep some programs funded that probably would've been cut, simply has too many strings. We're mandated to fund unnecessary projects--like new road construction--rather than fund what we need--road maintenance.
This whole thing is so technical; if I was in charge of the budget, it would probably look as bad as my own finances (which is an exaggeration; I'm doing just fine, but I'm terrible at budgeting). Fiscal responsibility is absolutely a characteristic I'll be watching for in future elections.
10, 9, 8, ...
The General Bill is printing as we speak, and could go to the House floor any minute. Then the war commences. We could be done as early as 6 p.m., but that's incredibly optimistic.
Dance party!
Last night was our final intern bowling night. We got everyone--even the press interns--there and even convinced the manager to make it "cosmic". I took a lot of video of the evening, so be watching for a mini movie about our last night of public mayhem. Tonight, when we're free, we're getting pizza and snacks and, of course, beer and unwinding at another intern's place. It'll be fun, but bittersweet.
The interns received our commemorations for all our service this afternoon, and while I didn't cry (like I did when I was a page), I felt very sad. Today is still very surreal, like graduation was. Thank you notes and cards and gifts are being passed around, and I am so far behind I don't have mine even written yet (although, they are in my possession).
On the mend
My "sickness" (since we're not really sure what all I still have) is getting better. My cough is still deep and painful, and my head continues to be plugged, and I have a rough voice, but my ear and throat don't hurt anymore. Hopefully by Wednesday next week I'll be able to start running again.
The Future
Tomorrow morning I'll load up the car and drive back to Winner. I plan to do some cleaning in my car and in my room, and then on Tuesday I'll head back to Brookings. I need to send some emails to a some news directors about meeting up next week. Hopefully things start to fall into place....

No comments:

Post a Comment