Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Has Spring Finally Sprung?

So sorry about the delay in writing. Legislative leadership decided last Wednesday to cancel Thursday's session because a big snowstorm was due to hit Pierre early Thursday morning, so after arriving in Brookings a day early, I got so wrapped up in my old life I completely forgot about this new one ... for a few days, anyway.
In the wake of a blizzard
A new mood is in the air at the Capital. It's a beautiful spring-like morning, and I don't think anyone can help but be a bit more chipper. I'm not a morning person, but even I couldn't stop smiling on my walk into the office from the parking lot.
This is, I think, the last week of committees, which means (drum roll here) no more early mornings! Maybe. It's always possible my boss will still want to come in just after the crack of dawn to solve the budget crisis.
This week will likely be our busiest so far, if yesterday is any indication. Even during his closed-door office meetings, I had plenty to do. Session adjourned fairly early yesterday--3:15 p.m.--and will probably be that crisp from here on out, but we still waited until after 6:30 p.m. to lock up the office. Even with the longer days, I'd much rather be busy until late than bored on a short day.
Scheduling snafu
With the missed day of session last week, the legislative procedures committee met yesterday morning to decide when to reschedule. We knew last week we would probably have to make the day up at some point, so I asked the boss when he thought that might be so I could reschedule my job interview if need be. He was 95 percent sure we wouldn't reschedule for this Friday, a day originally scheduled to be off, and that I would be fine to go to Grand Forks on Thursday night.
It's a good thing I didn't put money on this one, because he was wrong. We talked about it last night, though, and he told me to go to ND anyway. I guess I still get my three-day weekend. Sort of. I just need to clear it with the LRC, which shouldn't be a problem because my boss is fine with it, and then I'm on my way.
I'm still not freaking out. I'm dreading the extremely long, boring drive, but I don't think the interview part has really hit me yet. I suppose that will come as we creep closer to Friday morning. But maybe not--that would be nice.
Make a splash
I'm still working out. I am quite proud of that little feat--I generally give up a few short weeks into my plan. Last night I couldn't run nearly as much as I would've hoped because I caught a fun head cold over the weekend, but even sick, I still did it. And it felt good ... eventually, when I could breathe again.
Tonight I want to hit the pool. I finally remembered to bring back a lap suit and I intend to use it. Lap swim opens up at 7 p.m. and I plan to hit it for about an hour. I'll skip weights and running, though. Swimming is already a total body workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment