Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's Not Winter Until You Get Sick

Oh, how I abhor germs.  I caught whatever bug is currently cruising the Capital, and it's definitely worse than your basic cold.  During my six hour drive to Grand Forks (or, almost Canada), I thought I was going to die.  
I couldn't breathe, couldn't swallow, and couldn't quit coughing.  A huge part of me wanted to cry when I started freaking out about N.D., but I couldn't even do that because it would make the congestion even worse.
By the time I got home around 8:30 p.m. last night, my ear hurt the most.  About an hour or so before I got back to Tripp County, my acetaminophen wore off.  I couldn't take any more because then I couldn't take my super awesome cough syrup before bedtime, which was a much higher priority.  
Luckily, Dad was able to schedule me a doctor's appointment this morning.  Turns out I definitely have an ear infection, but nothing is actually wrong with my throat, other than the coughing.  He gave me Singular to dry up my lungs and sinuses, drops for my ear, and antibiotics for my ear and "whatever else might become infected".  
Hopefully now I can get back to feeling like me.
Not what I expected
The job interview went very well.  I spent about four and a half hours at the station, rewriting press releases and going out on a shoot all as part of my interview.  The news director said this position drew in the most applicants she's seen for a single job.  A sign of the times, I guess.  It sounds like I do stand a pretty chance at this one, though.  A sign of all the hard work I've done. 
The city wasn't anything at all like I expected.  I have to admit, I was fairly impressed.  It wasn't even as cold as I expected, but that's because it was unseasonably warm.  I wasn't horrified--it definitely seemed like a sort of oasis--but I just didn't feel connected.  I guess we'll see what God has in store for me.  
The end....
The 39th Day is fast approaching.  We're about to start the last week and I hope I'm feeling healthy enough to really enjoy them.  I've wanted this job since I was in high school, and now it's almost part of my past.  I can't help but be a little sad, and not just because the future is scary.  I've met some fantastic people that I would never in a million years have gotten to know otherwise.  I've also made some great contacts who will be invaluable to my career.  
Pretty much the only thing left to worry about is the budget, but that's no petty concern.  We've been saying all along that we will have a balanced budget by the end of session--now it's time to prove that we're not all talk.  I anticipate a lot of late nights and some intense fights ... all while the public waits for answers about their future.
Time to get back up
My workouts were absolutely worthless this week.  I couldn't run nearly what as far or as fast as I wanted to because I wasn't ever able to catch my breath.  I had absolutely zero energy any night I made it to the Y, and I felt it in all my muscles the rest of the week.  Weightlifting sucked the little bit I did show up with out of my system. 
Now that I have drugs and am on the path to recovery, I'm hoping my workouts will improve.  I need to get back to the level I was at before I caught the bug, and then to improve.  I have to start working toward getting off the elliptical and onto solid ground.  I still haven't signed up for the 5K, and I won't until I know I can definitely do it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment