Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Oh, it starts...

Tonight is my last night of unemployment.  Okay, okay--it's not really unemployment if you're still in school, but I've certainly been acting like a bum.  As of 2 p.m. tomorrow, I'll be sitting in Red Lobster New Employee Orientation.  Not exactly my dream job, but it's full time hours and full benefits. 
Hospitality? 
I hope I like it--God only knows how long I'll be doing it--but I don't want to love it.  I still want to have the hunger, the need to get back into journalism.  I am actually a little nervous.  It's been a long time since I worked outside the media or government.  I kind of forgot what it's like to have a normal job.  
I'm still waiting to hear back from the part time job I applied for, as well.  I figure if I can't have my dream job, I might as well work my butt off and make some extra money.  All the better to pay off those student loans with.  Or rebuild my savings account.  Or .. have a little more fun in my free time.  Who knows--I just think I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a financial cushion.
Oh, procrastination... 
With all this free time, one would think I would have already finished my final papers.  But, if one believes that, one does not know me.  I have everything done for Model United Nations--three of my last 14 credit hours--but, I have a long ways to go to be completely done.  I have the outline, thesis, intro, and conclusion written for my 10-12 page research paper for Legislative Issues (another three credits).  I need to hurry with this one--it's due May 2.  
The last paper on my list is a 16-24 page paper analyzing my internship experience with the state legislature.  I still need to do the required reading (which actually should have been done back in December) and then compare my experiences in Pierre with the structure explained in the reading.  It sounds like a lot of work, but it doesn't have to be a masterpiece; the last eight credits are just pass or fail.  As long as I turn it in, I pass.  It's due on May 8, I believe, but I'd rather turn it in on May 2 with the other paper. 
The final finals... 
Journalism doesn't require an exit exam--our required internships play double duty as far as the Board of Regents are concerned.  Political science, however, does, and they gave it while I was in Pierre.  I jokingly asked my advisor about it at MUN this weekend, and I was surprised to find out I still have to take it.  I went in to schedule this test with the department secretary yesterday, and they made me sit down and take the 2 1/2 hour test right then.  Two bubble tests, two essay questions, and a survey--ick.  Having skipped lunch, I was easily irritable.  So, when I got the second essay question and no answers sprang to mind, I skipped it, moved onto the survey, and then proceeded to turn it in.  There is no required passing score, so I felt no compulsion to finish the stupid question.  My professor, however, did feel some compulsion, and he made me come back in this afternoon to answer one dumb question.  So much for being a BAMF in the end.
Off of the bandwagon...
I haven't been so good at working out lately.  Eating healthy, yes; getting to the gym, no.  Ever since I came back to Brookings after Easter break, I have had no motivation.  I've been much more focused on the job situation and the homework fiasco.  I don't anticipate going tomorrow, but hopefully Friday.  It all kind of depends on what days Red Lobster schedules me for.  I can feel all my hard work undoing it self, and I know I need to fix it.  I don't want to look like such a chubs at graduation--and that would be hard to do; those robes are huge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment