Monday, April 13, 2009

Progress

It seems a personal appearance is hard to reject.  Over the course of the past few weeks, I probably sent out at least 30 job applications and only heard back from one employer, and that was a rejection letter.  
Last Wednesday, I stopped at four different places in Sioux Falls.  I have interviews with two places on Wednesday and am supposed to get phone calls to schedule interviews with the other two.  Maybe I'm much more impressive in person, maybe these employers are all too chicken to say no to my face.  Either way, I was much more difficult to ignore.
Not quite plan A...
Sadly, none of these potential jobs are in broadcasting.  I'm still waiting to hear back from the radio station, so I guess it's still a possibility.  My interviews are all in the restaurant business.  At this point, I'll be happy just to have a job, but it is very frustrating to know that I'll have worked my butt off for four years to be a professional waitress or hostess. 
Bright spots...
Wednesday was a very busy day.  I drove around Sioux Falls for most of the afternoon in search of employment, but it wasn't all work.  I got to spend an hour or so at Starbucks with my old roommate Tori and her boyfriend Billy.  They live in Kansas now, so getting to spend time together is a rare treat.  I'm hoping to get some time off this summer to go down south to visit them, but we'll see if I can get that accomplished.  I may just have too many weddings to deal with.
I also made a stop in to the old station to turn my key in and visit friends.  There still aren't any job openings there, but it sounds like they're fighting to get me back.  The boss told me to keep my key for awhile, and I made sure to tell them that I signed a lease and will be in Sioux Falls at least until the next June.
Legally bound to SD...
That's right--I signed a lease.  I just might be an idiot, but if I can't get the job that I really want, I might as well live where I choose.  We got this beautiful luxury apartment that is actually in my price range.  Indoor and outdoor pools, movie theater, gym--the works.  We also have a big deck--my main requirement.  We get to keep our grill, and what's really great is my dad found us beautiful (but slightly damaged...) patio furniture for free.  
Less than four weeks...
Graduation is approaching all too fast.  I turned in all the required paperwork and have my cap and gown hung up in my room.  I have an exit interview for my loans tomorrow, and then it's Model UN weekend in Mankato.  After next weekend, I just have my final papers and journal to write and then I really, truly am finished.  
I'm still not sure how I feel about it.  I love that I won't be racking up any more student loans, but I hate that there are no job openings in my field.  I feel like I'm going to be living in a career-limbo, and I really have no realistic timeline for when I get out.  It's all just a waiting game.
On the bright side, Alison comes home about a week after graduation.  She's been in India since January and I'm itching to have her home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment