Monday, April 27, 2009

Transitions

Today is my fourth shift at my new job--host at Red Lobster.  I realize that the restaurant business is a far cry from news, but so far this seems like a good way to get through the television job slump.  
Not feeling so hot...
My self-confidence has taken a hit, I'll admit.  I'm really having a difficult time feeling good about myself and my abilities.  I've spent the past three years as either a news reporter or editor, and it seems like all that work has been for nothing.  
I would've liked to have had jobs that paid better than minimum wage; I would've liked having more time to finish homework; I would've liked having more free time for naps and a social life.  I think I would even have liked dating. 
I didn't let myself get distracted, though; I stayed focused so I would have the best possible resume when graduation rolled around.  Well, graduation is two short weeks away, and I am no better off than the student who slacked off, spent mom and dad's money, and lived to binge drink.    
Not all my fault...
I certainly picked a poor time in history to enter the workforce.  I realize there really aren't any jobs for anyone, so just having employment is a sort of feat.  That doesn't stop me from feeling envious of those reporters who did find jobs.  I thought I was pretty good at this, but it certainly doesn't appear that way anymore.
Not so bad...
I do like my new job.  The pay is about what I expected to make in news, although not quite 40 hours a week, and the benefits are great.  I'm still looking for a part time job.  I figure if I can't have my dream job, I might as well make as much money as possible until I get there.  It certainly won't hurt to have some cash stockpiled.
Not quite done...
I'm still working on my last two papers, but those are officially all I have left of my undergraduate career.  The research paper about South Dakota's smoking ban is due one week from today, so I'll be spending all my down time on that this week.  The analysis of my internship in Pierre is due a week from Friday, the day before graduation.  I still have to do my reading for that one, but it shouldn't take too long.  I don't have to research, I just have to talk about my own experiences.  
Not doing well...
Working out has kind of stopped.  Since I started on Thursday, my feet have hurt too much to get onto a treadmill.  I don't think I'll be here too late tonight; business has been kind of slow, so I bet I get to hit the road for Brookings around 7 or 8.  I'm going to try and run (probably inside, it's chilly) a couple miles tonight. and then I need to get the brownies I'm making for the Collegian baked.  
Tomorrow night is a free concert on campus--Augustana.  I made sure to get my ticket right away, and now I just have to hope I get cut in time to get back for the show.  My night shift starts at 4, so I'll be one of the first to go home.  
I have a lot more I'd like to talk about, but in the interest of actually graduating, I'll hold back.  Time to work on that paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment