Monday, January 19, 2009

One Week Down

I survived my first week in Pierre!  Today is the last day of a long weekend--MLK Day--and I'm a little sad.  I got to spend the past few days in Brookings, and I'm really going to miss my girls.  I will not, however, miss the lack of sleep I had back east.  Far too many nights out and way too few hours not in my bed.  
The first few days at the legislature went well.  The mood is pretty sober up there; everyone seems to understand the state has no money this year, and everyone's energy is being put towards finding a budget solution.  
I work for the Republican state senators, and I am definitely outnumbered.  Of all the interns in this part of the universe, I'm the only girl.  Of all the Republican senators in the chamber, there's only one woman.  I'm sure you can understand caucus is pretty much the boys' club.  For the most part, I'm okay with disproportionate numbers, but Friday I wanted to punch another intern in the jaw.  I had been handing out copies to all the senators in the room, and when I got to him, he said "Thanks, Sweetheart."  
Oh, how condescending men can be.  The worst part is, he probably has no idea how much that one little nickname bothered me.  It would've been one thing if we were hanging out OFF of capitol grounds--he is very cute--but we were at work, in the heat of things.  I didn't say anything this time (anyone can slip up once in a while), but if it happens again any time soon, I'll probably have to have a little chit chat with him.  
As we speak, I'm packing my stuff up.  Actually, I'm in a state of packing-limbo because I'm waiting for a load of laundry to dry.  I'm supposed to go eat some lunch at my sister's apartment, but I haven't gotten the call yet.  I love that she decided to finish college here and that I've gotten to spend the past three years with her.  Most days I try not to think about the fact that in a matter of months, I'm moving, and right now, I have no idea where my next chapter will be.  I don't know how far I'll be from my family, how often I'll be able to visit, and if I'll even be able to afford those trips home.  It's such a scary thing, the unknown ... so, for now, I'm going to continue to not think about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment