Friday, January 23, 2009

A Step in the Right Direction...

Life in Week 2 is getting somewhat easier.  All the interns seem to have gotten the same mental memo telling us we need to actually do stuff together, so we've started trying.  Tuesday we took some baby steps and Jordan and I met up with two friends from SDSU working on the media side of things for a drink or two.  Wednesday we hit up lobbyist social functions--first, Brookings night, and then, the South Dakota Beer Wholesalers.  The evening ended at the Ramkota, where the hotel bar hosts karaoke every Wednesday.  That was a fun evening, and really, it was one of the first gathering that included interns from both the House and the Senate.  
Bowled Over By Fun
Last night almost all of us went bowling (it was either that or a movie or a bar).  I thought it sounded fun from the beginning, but the whole thing blew my expectations out of the water.  The atmosphere was so relaxed, so natural you'd think we'd been working together for weeks, not days.  I had truly anticipated more awkwardness.  Turns out I'm not the only one who enjoyed myself because there's serious talk of making bowling a weekly event.  
The legislators seem to enjoy their time in Pierre as well.  I ran in to several that I know at both Brookings night and the Beer Wholesalers, and they seemed to enjoy the feast of alcohol laid out before us--J. Lohr wine and 70 different varieties of beer, respectively.  Even at karaoke we saw several familiar faces.
Sacrifices for Society?
Needless to say, social interaction is apparently what I've been missing.  Now I have the itch and I'm afraid I'll fall off the exercise wagon.  Up until this point, I've done well.  At least three days a week are spent at the YMCA or it's equivalent outside of Pierre.  I've been biking for at least 8 miles and running for at least 1, improving my time and heart rate with each attempt.  I'm still not sure if I'll ever be able to run that 5K I've been talking about--that involves using the track or ground, not an elliptical--but I do know I feel better about my own appearance.  When I look in the mirror, I see a better body; whether that's all in my head or not, I'm not sure.  I just know I really, really, really want to make this a habit.  I'm sore all the time, but it's so much better than feeling fat and lethargic.  
I best be heading to bed now--my own bed in my own home :).  Good night!  

No comments:

Post a Comment